The spring season is finally upon us, and with it comes heavy rain. Minor storms and even flash flooding can create enormous problems on the road, which is why it’s a good idea to brush up on safety tips for driving in the rain, before you find yourself stuck.
This spring, keep these ideas in mind:
- If you are already driving when it starts to rain, slow down. The road is at its most slippery shortly after rain begins.
- Always leave extra space between your car and other cars on the road when it’s raining, and accelerate/decelerate at slower paces.
- Never make sharp turns in the rain, as your vehicle is more likely to topple over.
- Avoid driving through puddles whenever possible, and never drive through a newly formed body of water, especially if you can’t see the bottom.
- Remember that just 12 inches of rushing water can be enough to cause your vehicle to lose traction with the road.
- If you find yourself in a true emergency, abandon your vehicle and seek help.