It was on this day in 1776 that the Continental Congress approved the Declaration of Independence, putting the original 13 colonies on the fast track to freedom. In celebration across the nation, there will be countless parades, cookouts and fireworks.
We here at Freehold Buick GMC want to break away from car news this week and provide you with some tips to keep you and your loved ones safe during this year’s Fourth of July party.
- Keep kids away from fireworks and keep spectators at a safe distance.
- Never swim alone and watch kids closely. Statistics show that most young children that drown in pool were out of sight for under five minutes.
- Drink responsibly. Don’t mix alcohol with fireworks, swimming or driving.
- Review safe boating practices and the boating laws in your area. Make sure you have enough life preservers on hand for guests.
- Cover food and beverages outdoors. It’s way too easy for bugs like bees and wasps to climb inside.
- Wear sunscreen and re-apply it often.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. This will help prevent heat-related illnesses.
- Protect those pets! The Fourth of July is when the most pets run away because of fireworks. Keep your pet in a quiet, escape-proof part of your home.
- Never re-light a “dud” firework. Instead, soak it in water for 15 to 20 minutes and then throw it away.
- Finally, don’t leave your Fourth of July BBQ to sit outdoors too long. This can invite foodborne illness. The suggested time is no more than two hours and no more than one hour if it’s over 90-degrees Fahrenheit.
Have fun this Fourth of July!